Friday, August 04, 2006

What a difference a day makes!

It is truly amazing what a emotional roller coaster ride this trip has been for DJ. Last night after I spoke to her, I felt as if she was having a pretty good day. Despite having to deal with the cold rain off and on, setting up and breaking down camp, not having any running water or electricity, and wondering if bears truly do prefer dark meat, she seemed to be in fairly good spirits.

Today, on the other hand is a different story. It poured all night. After breaking camp in the rain, DJ packed Big Bertha and hit the road. It rained on her all day, not your typical warm "gee honey lets kick off our shoes and take a walk" summer lower 48 kind of rain, but the cold "holy sh...t I can't feel my hands anymore" kind of rain.

For those of you who don't know DJ, she is not the complaining type. The tougher things are the tougher she gets. So, when most people would have looked for a warm dry spot to take refuge, DJ pushed on. When I spoke to her earlier, she was about a half hour away from her stopping point in Beaver Lodge, Alberta. She seemed to be in good spirits, but I could tell by her voice she was tired. Despite her excellent riding gear she was chilled to the bone, and I could tell that the harsh conditions had taken a toll on her.

I have often been asked if I worry about DJ when she is out on the road alone facing the elements and the unknown. I would be lying if I said I didn't. Of course I worry I love her, but I am confident in her ability to deal with what ever hand fate might deal her, and today is no different.

DJ is laying it on the line for what she believes in, and hopes that her sacrifice will help bring awareness to what she feels is a truly noble cause. People you don't have to ride your motorcycle across the country like DJ or push yourself to extremes the way she does, but you can a still make a difference. What are you waiting for?

OH yeah....DJ also saw mountain goats & Elk today.

Until next time..... God Bless. Updated by DJ's husband Mark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home